03 August, 2010
Galvanic treatment v/s Botox. Which is better and safer?
Botox is a more popular way of getting youthful looks by reducing lines and wrinkles on the skin.
Botox or Botulinum toxin ‘A’ injections are used to treat laugh lines, crows feet, frown lines etc to get a more youthful look. This is a form of serum which is injected in the lower layers of the skin, making it skin cells plump and in the process reducing wrinkles.
Galvanic treatment is a procedure where a massager which uses galvanic ions or ultrasound waves or a combination of both to treat the skin. An essential nourishing cream is massaged deep into the skin using this massager. Ultrasonic waves promote growth of healthy skin and boost elasticity. It is safe to be used on problem skin with acne, pimples, and blackheads.
Dr. Meha Mhatre, Trichologist, Skin Specialist and Owner, Tressez Trichology & Advanced Skincare Centre, says:
• Galvanic treatment helps in removing skin wastes and helping cosmetic nutrients to penetrate deep into the skin by applying galvanic ions and ultrasound waves. It helps activate skin cells and tissues through a million micro vibrations per second.
• It helps in reducing wrinkles, sagging skin, and is also recommended for firming and lifting of the skin by using the anode (+) and the cathode (-) of electric currents.
• It helps growth of healthy skin with more elasticity all over the face. It improves blood circulation in the facial skin.
• The possible side effects of this treatment are increase in skin sensitivity for a while after the procedure is completed.
Dr. Preeti Savardekar, Consultant Dermatologist & Cosmetologist of Shri Krishna Polyclinic, says:
• Botox is used to treat lines and wrinkles at a target area on the face like frown lines, crow feet and laugh lines. It doesn’t treat the overall look of the skin on the face.
• Botox, if not administered properly may result in disorders with muscle weakness like multiple sclerosis, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.
• Botox may cause allergies, swelling, bruising, infections and headaches which may not be a good experience.
• Botox treatments are temporary. The effect starts wearing off within three to four months. Somebody who wants to sustain the effect all year long may have to visit the clinic regularly.
The experts are unanimous that Galvanic treatment is better than Botox therapy. Galvanic treatment is a safer and more effective way of reducing fine lines and wrinkles. Though it doesn’t target a particular area, but Galvanic treatment helps to promote growth of healthy skin with better elasticity all over the face. As a result it makes the skin look younger and taut. Botox should be used for removing deep wrinkles in a target area like frown lines, crows feet, laugh lines etc.