23 December, 2009

Does hair oil help in hair growth?

Your crowning glory is your pride. If your mane is manageable, then you are among the lucky few who are blessed with such a beautiful gift. A sense of beauty and well being is reflected by a person who has healthy hair. But most of us face stress in one way or the other because of the messed up condition of our tresses. There are so many problems which cause a concern like greying, breakage, dandruff but the most common problem is hair fall.

A normal cycle of hair growth lasts for 2-6 years. In a month, each hair grows approximately one centimeter during this phase of growth. About 90 percent of the hair on your scalp grows at any one time. And the other 10 percent of the hair on your scalp is in a resting phase. After 2 to 3 months, the resting hair falls out and new hair starts to grow in its place. It is normal to shed some hair each day as part of this cycle.

Your hair is like a health barometer which shows the actual condition of your health in general. Your hair can be affected by diet, illness, medication and environmental factors. A lot of people face hair fall but not many go to a trichologist to get a remedy. Instead, they go for remedies that are available in their household. Or get the best alternative available in the market. Many hair oil brands claim to cure hair fall and help in re-growth. Herbs like Jojoba and others are listed as the magic potions which claim to help in hair growth. And as gullible customers they try out the product at least once.

But the question arises that ‘Does hair oil really help in hair growth?’ Grandma remedies list hot coconut oil massage once a week for beautifying, strengthening and growth of hair. Many of us follow this regimen strictly. Market is flooded with several brands of herbal oils, medicinal oils who promise hair growth. People are ready to try natural oils like Mustard oil, Almond oil, Coconut oil and even Castor oil to have better growth or re-growth of hair. But no one knows about its effectiveness.

Shirin Merchant, Proprietor of Kut & Make Salon suggests that oiling has been a healthy practice followed through several years. Especially the coconut oil massage helps the hair shaft look nourished and conditioned. But it does not penetrate the follicles of the hair to increase the rate of growth. She further explains that, “Oil is good if left for an hour or two or maximum overnight. Application of oil on the hair is good if done once a week. But most importantly, oil should be thoroughly taken off from your hair.”

So your coiffure concerns are not completely met by oiling your hair religiously. It needs extra care, a good diet and treatment to have healthy growth. Hair oil provides the conditioning and nourishment required for a healthy look.

Parimita Chakravorty

No comments: